Monday 26 September 2011

Surf Art

This is an example of some of the work that I have completed for my Art GCSE. Enjoy!

I never thought that I'd be able to actually paint this picture but when I found it on exposed monkeys facebook page I fell in love with the colours and the cloud formation and I had to try and it turned out a lot better than I expected. Exposed monkey is an Australian photographer and his facebook page and website are both well worth a visit.
This was painted using acrylics to achieve the strong colour and reflections and I used brushes, sponges and also cotton balls to create the effect of the clouds.



This was also painted using acrylics and is another photo by exposed monkey but I changed this one up a little to make it clearer. I love the colours in this and I liked this so much that I painted it on a canvas and gave it to my mum for her birthday and it sits on her mantle piece in her room. I used cotton on this one too and also some flat top cotton buds to create the spray on the wave and all over the picture. 

Drew Brophy
 We all had to pick out an artist to copy the style of and I found Drew Brophy on google search and I fell in love with his art. It's so expressive and full of colour and emotion and I think he is a real inspiration.
I had to use a lot of different media besides my trusty acrylic paints so I used water colours for this and I built up the colour so that it would be be bold and I am really happy with how this turned out.
 This is another copy of his work which I love. I used my acrylics for this one and I really enjoyed painting it and mixing all of the colours although the wave was quite hard to blend the colours with. I especially love the sun on this painting and how it blends out.
I love this. This was the first piece of his work that I copied to see if i could do it and I just love how freeing it is. I used chalk for this which is a media that I have always hated but after using them for this I quite like them.

 This is the complete page that I did on the artist Drew Brophy. I love his style of painting and I think he is a truly amazing and inspirational artist and if you want to find out more about him, visit his website which is so impressive!


This painting is huge in real life and it took a lot of work and a lot of paint to create when I did it about a year ago now. We had to paint natural things and I was having a lot of trouble so my replacement art teacher at the time told me about what artists hundreds of years ago used to do. As art was so expensive to do, the only people who could afford to do it properly was the church and they only allowed the artists paint things related to Christianity so what they did was they painted a huge and beautiful landscape and then did a little bible scene in the corner and that was classed as okay. So what my art teacher told me to do was paint something that excited me. Something which I love and which inspires me and when I found this photograph, something just clicked and it was this which inspired me to do my whole theme as surfing.


No comments:

Post a Comment