Friday 24 February 2012

The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak



I started reading 'The Forty Rules of Love' by Elif Shadak yesterday as I got it out from the library. That's right, I rented a book which never happens. I got a new card and searched the shelves for anything inspiring as I had just finished 'Lands Beyond the Sea' which was about the discovering of Australia and how the aborigines sacred lands were completely destroyed and taken over by the convict colony, and wanted something equally as deep rooted in foreign history.
This book is predominantly about a middle aged woman called Ella who is wrapped up in her world where she lives without love: as if everything in her life is a chore but one day, she gets given this book to write a report on written by Azziz who couldn't be the opposite and has a fascination with the scholar Romi and the book follows both the stories of Ella and Romi learning and growing as people and changing due to someone entering their lives. 
    I definitely recommend it as it is easy to read and the characters are so intriguing as it is rooted in 13th centuaty cities such as Constantinople, Konya and Baghdad but also the present day and both situations are identifiable. I am about two thirds of the way through and an thoroughly enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment